FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual Nationality?
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:11 am
Clipper801

Originally Posted by SevenD2
So does having the HKID mean I have dual nationalities?
Which Nationality would it be if I did have dual nationality? (Chinese, HK SAR, or HK BNO(British National Oversea))

What nationality did you declare when you applied for your HKID card?

The HKID card generally confirms your residence status in HK, it is neither a proof of your nationality nor a travel document (for other than to Macau).

What nationality is stated in your passport? If you were born in UK, it should state that you are a "British Citizen".

What nationality is your parents? Are you entitled to some other nationality through your parents or grandparents and did they go through the formal process to register your entitlement to that nationality? For example, someone born in Hong Kong to Canadian parents may be entitled to Canadian nationality.

You may be eligible to apply for a HKSAR passport. Read eligibility critiera at this link:

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...orpassport.htm

However, you should fully consider the pros and cons for having a HKSAR passport before applying as it may jeopardize your entitlement to UK consular assistance and protection in some situations.

If you have a HKSAR passport, you have dual Chinese and British citizenship.

If you do not have a HKSAR passport but you declared yourself to be of Chinese nationality when you applied for your HKID card, this is more complicated and you should seek legal advice.

If you were born in the UK and the UK passport is the only travel document that you have, and as far as you know, you were not formally registered or naturalised for any other nationality, you are a British Citizen only as far as I can see.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 15, 2012 at 7:33 am