FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:05 pm
Sykes

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Since in the other threads it is virtually impossible to collect concrete information, I thought I might start this thread in the hopes that we can keep the content pertinent to the discussion. If you or your traveling companion have been offered a TOD upgrade, please post all of the following information:

• Flight (including date and city pairs)
  • Status of individual offered the upgrade (1K, Platinum, etc.)
  • Fare class of the person being offered the upgrade (G, K, M, or the full fare code)
  • Upgrade cost
  • If you declined the buy-up, did your CPU (or other upgrade) clear? Or, if you had a non-status companion get a buy-up, did your CPU clear?

If you have an explanation for the buy-up offer (eg. "a $129 buy-up from K to M for the M-up looks about right because of x"), then post that, but please voluntarily refrain from any commentary or other discussion ... there are a million other threads for that. The goal here is to collect specific cases where this is happening, find an explanation for the ones where we can, and report the ones where there isn't a reasonable explanation to UA Insider for investigation.

Edit: For those who are not familiar, "TOD" is is short-hand for "ten-of-dollars" and is used to describe buy-up offers that seem to take priority over elites on the upgrade waitlist but are offered for much less money than a paid upgrade to a confirmed first class ticket should cost. The primary complaints are related to buy-up offers from economy to business, economy to first, and business to first, so those offers are the focus of this thread. You're welcome to post any unusual or irregular E- to E+ offers; however, I don't know of any documented problems there (except for people being required to pay when they shouldn't be).

Jadenus has created a Google Spreadsheet that anyone can contribute to here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...G5pUkI0UHJxZmc

... I'll be copying details from this thread to that spreadsheet, but feel free to add to that yourself.

Last edited by Sykes; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:18 am Reason: Clarifying "TOD", and adding that this is primarily for upgrades to premium seating.