FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Tailor?
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:57 am
TRAVELSIG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nologic
All I can say is that you get what you pay for. First of all, I doubt you are speaking about the identical fabric: one tailor's Super 150 cloth is not the same as another tailor's, particularly if the cloth is from a branded manufacturer. Otherwise, the difference in workmanship is huge. Most shops don't have their own tailors and use a common factory in China. WW Chan has their own in-house Hong Kong based tailors. Many/most tailors use glue to fuse their suits; WW Chan and a few other top shops only use hand stiching. I agree that the "value" is with the high end tailors using high end fabrics, like Loro Piana or Zegna. Holland and Sherry also offers nice fabrics which will be less expensive that LP or Zegna (2/3rds). None of the shops have high overhead, and WW Chan may have among the lowest. Rent would be one of the most expensive overhead items, except for the cost of labor. Hotel/mall storefronts will have higher rents than places like WW Chan. I would presume they have the same cost for fabrics. You might be able to save money if you ask for remnant fabric where they may be down to their last pieces. I seriously advise against the low to middle end shops: you may find yourself throwing away the clothes like I once did. You truly get what you pay for.
Very well written and good advice- I agree!

I also usually don't bother with fabric from Loro Piana for example that often as the cost can be very high on the cashmere blends- easily up to 10 000 HKD- but again I think it is important to know the fabrics you like, the weights and blends you want (for example sometimes I like a bit of silk in the blend), and balance classic designs with some "fashion" elements.

WW Chan is a good option.

I would stay away from anyone who is gluing- and you will know by looking at their finished products if they are- as if you are going to buy a glued suit better just to go to Zara and spend 10% of the cost.