FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beijing hotels and tours?
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:39 am
tsmith12

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
For tourists, the only really excellently located properties are CP Wangfujing, smack in the middle of Wangfujing shopping street and 20 mins by foot to Tian'anmen, as well as CP Chaoyang U-Town, located in a mall and in the Western bar/restaurant/embassy/corporate headquarter district. Many others are in an ok location to grab a cab, though.

What concerns tours, CP Wangfujing gives easy access to Tianan'men and what's north of it - by foot. Generally, tours are a rip-off and you might be dragged into some "shopping" (that you don't want) and spend more time there than at the sights. Beijing is easily doable on your own. But you might be better of searching the China forum where "experts" may help If time permits, I'll happily help to arrange stuff, too.

Airport transfer, take a taxi, which should be less than 100 CNY to the Wangfujing property. Take the hotel's name card and phone number in Chinese.

BTW, no benefits if you are not staying yourself, otherwise one level upgrade at the U-Town and YMMV (but at least one level) at the Wangfujing property.

Thanks, Chinatrvl. The only reason I was wondering about tours is because my parents are old and don't want to walk around too much/figure out directions and trains n stuff on their own. I looked around and saw private tours are like $200/2 ppl that covers all the main attractions at your own pace/schedule and bus tours with others are even cheaper (although I'm sure you will have a set schedule set by the tour company in this instance)

Also, if they are planning to take cabs/tours all around and not really walk around, does it make sense to pay almost $100/night extra staying in CP or can they stay at HI/HIX/Park Plaza properties around the city for much less than the CP rate? Thanks ^