FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Private yacht in Bora Bora? (AmEx trip of a lifetime winner, can spend up to $20k)
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:20 pm
BettyKat

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Originally Posted by flightmedic
WE just returned three weeks ago from the region for our second time and it is spectacular. I would suggest you consider combining a Paul Gauguin cruise with a land based vacation, presuming you have the time for both.

The PG is an upscale small cruise ship based in Tahiti that sails the region on 7, 10, 11, and 14 night trips. I would couple with this, with your budget, about 5 nights in Moorea at the Hilton in an overwater bungalow and another 5 nights in Bora Bora at the Four Seasons or one of the other top resorts also in an overwater bungalow. The cruise price includes air from LAX but Air Taiti Nui is an uncomfortable coach seat and upgrading to business (a recliner, not a nice lie flat bed) will cost an extra $3,000 or so per person roundtrip.

On the ship you could blow your budget on a higher level cabin but all of the basic cabins are 200 square feet and identical except that some has two portholes, some a window and some a small balcony. For a 7 night cruise the price per person will range from about $4,000 per person to about $7,000 per person for this range of cabin. IMHO unless you have the budget to blow stick with the two porthole cabin. The ship was refurbished last month and we were on the first cruise after drydock from Australia to Tahiti. Except for the weather it was great.

If you do go to this region and upgrade to business class most of your budget will be gone. For a cruise figure $10,000 for two plus $6,000 if you upgrade. If you do not upgrade you have the $$$ to do both Moorea and Bora Bora.
i looked into gaugin and they look nice but a bit risky, to pin us to a ship (and we don't want to be around other people).

the bigger issue though is max 7 nights, so we can't do a cruise and then spend 5 or whatever nights in a hotel....we are better off IMO with 7 nights in a resort. or at least that's my preference. but thanks for sharing your experience, good to know the ship is a pleasure.