FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - transit in Saudi Arabia (Riyadh)
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:53 pm
dunk

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by aarif1
I'm also looking for info about transit in Riyadh, so I'll post here instead of making a new thread.

What can you do with a long (~12 hour) layover in Riyadh? Is it possible to leave the airport for a few hours? Any hotels nearby? Secluded areas to lie down within the airport? Other suggestions on how to kill the time?

Just to make it more complicated, there will be 2 young children traveling.
Unless you can secure transit visas in advance, you won't be able to leave the airport. Search here on FT for the experiences of one US-based member who did manage to secure a visa last year. We met up and I showed him around for a few hours.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck in the departure lounge where there are seats, ATMs, cafes, coffee stands, paid wifi, prayer rooms and plane-spotting.

Even if you can get visas, you're faced with a couple of hours queuing at immigration and a 45 min cab ride into the city. I don't recall an airport hotel but most of the major chains are represented in the city centre.

Riyadh isn't really a family-friendly tourist destination unless you are prepared for or familiar with the culture.

What is your itinerary and nationality/ethnicity ? (It makes a difference)