FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Private yacht in Bora Bora? (AmEx trip of a lifetime winner, can spend up to $20k)
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:51 am
BettyKat

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Originally Posted by number_6
That price is for their smallest cat (12m); since you are asking then you aren't boat people, in which case a week cruising this way is not for you. Certainly a different kind of luxury than you get at the FS or any of the land resorts. This is fun if you sail, but not as pax. The food will be dismal after the first day. If you do this, at least get their 17m boat, but that is out of your price range. In general a first trip on a yacht is best done overnight -- at anchor -- and then build up from their, for an enjoyable vacation!
Correct, we aren't boat people (meaning, we have no substantial experience on boats)...our thinking was just, what can we do that's "once in a lifetime," unique, something we could never otherwise afford?

The food didn't even occur to me but you're probably right. After reviewing the itinerary, the main thing we thought is, we can do all those things and more with the Four Seasons or the St. Regis as our base.

I just didn't want to pass up a unique opportunity...if lots of "boat people" said "that looks amazing!" then I'd start to feel differently. That does not seem to be the case....