FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The world is round! To HKT and SIN via PVG, ZRH and FRA on UA,LH,LX F TG,SQ C & 3K Y
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:22 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
JW Marriott Khao Lak

JW Marriott Khao Lak

In addition to 120,000 Air Canada Miles, my 270,000 point Marriott travel package included 7 nights in a category 1-5 Marriott. While the JW Phuket has long been recognized as one of the top properties in the Marriott program, the JW Khao Lak has gotten great reviews on these forums and presented several advantages:
- It was a category 5, not 6
- Platinum recognition was reportedly good and we’d likely be upgraded to a pool access room
- The beach area nearby had several local restaurants making it easy to get off-property to eat
- Reward availability was easier to find for the dates we wanted

We had a fabulous stay at this property and wouldn’t hesitate to return (although I’d like to try the JW Phuket also…). The facility is beautiful and the location on the beach perfect for a week of relaxation. Other than the center most pool-area by the beach the swimming areas were often deserted, even Christmas week. Breakfast had an enormous selection and an amazing made-to-order smoothie bar. The staff was always welcoming and helpful. In addition to direct pool access from the back deck, the well-appointed room was good size with a large sitting area, good size bathroom, and supremely comfortable bed.

A few small complaints: first, while ice water was occasionally refilled when you were sitting by the beach or pool lounge-side refills and drink orders could’ve been taken more consistently; second, nightly turndown snacks were provided but were often covered in ants by the time we went to nibble on them; lastly, based on rumors I’d read here I knew there was a Marriott Rewards Platinum Happy Hour each day but I wasn’t told about it at check-in and it wasn’t until the last day of our stay that we got accurate information about where and when it was (or maybe it wasn’t supposed to be daily…).
But to be clear, I’d return in a heartbeat.

Arrival fruit, snack, and truffles

Looking towards the beach

The pool winds through the entire hotel

The pool near the lobby had some nice secluded seating areas

The main pool and pool bar

The beach

Beach-side dinning/massages/tour bookings

Off-property lounges on the beach