FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:31 pm
vertosman

I stayed in this hotel last year as the MINT. I have a trip coming up and am considering it again, but just noticed it changed to Hilton. The hotel is OK but doesn't look to be a good value proposition for Hilton points.

I liked that everything was new and there were computers in the rooms, but the furnishings, linens, mattresses seemed low quality albeit new and fresh.

I agree with the OP that breakfast is fantastic. Easily the best hotel breakfast in Amsterdam.

Service was friendly but not really helpful or attentive. I had paid for breakfast with my booking but everyday they argued with me that I had not. "No, it doesn't look like your booking includes breakfast. Sign here please and 28 euros will be charged to your room." Needless to say, this got a bit annoying after a few days, and wasn't corrected until the 3rd day.

I also found the hotel to be very noisy. The walls are concrete, and I was five floors down from the rooftop bar, but somehow I had a tremendous amount of noise coming into my room every night with footsteps, chairs moving, etc. It must have been something with the ductwork design, but it literally sounded like the rooftop bar was three feet above my bed. Very strange.

It also seemed to me like the hotel and its staff was having a hard time settling in and managing such a large property. I'm sure the recent changeover to Hilton has only added to the confusion. In time this might be a great property, but I think I'm going to avoid it for a few years.

For reference, I booked this hotel last year for 3 nights using only 56,000 (total) Delta miles through the Delta Marketplace. It looks like a standard room would now cost me 105,000 Hilton points for a 3 night stay.

I think my next stay might be at the Hotel Pulitzer for 12,000 SPG per night. It appears to be the best value hotel in AMS that can be booked with a rewards program. If anybody has other suggestions, let me know.