FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YYZ TTC trip report on the 58 Malton
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:07 am
B1

YYZ TTC trip report on the 58 Malton

I usually use the GO bus to York Mills but the service has now been reduced to once an hour, at best, and I missed it by five minutes. So there was a TTC bus waiting at the same stop. So I decided to get to Lawrence Station on the Yonge line - the driver encouraged my experiment. I had some luggage so I sat in the seat all the way at the back. So - it is a single fare and it makes a stop about every other block. The route follows Dixon Road to Lawrence and crosses the Eglinton bus at Jane. It covers a part of Toronto I have never paid attention to so there is a certain tourist value for those who want to see what amounts to a collection of Soviet-style high rises and the world's ugliest Wal-Mart. The route ends at Lawrence West Station (there is a large traffic jam with the exiting expressway traffic). You can get on the Spadina Line subway here. I chose to get on the Lawrence West 52 and continue to Yonge, which took about 20 minutes and made fewer stops. The total time from YYZ T1 to Lawrence Station was just over an hour and the cost was one token. I continued on another bus from there but that is not of general interest. Summary: this requires patience and no urgency with minimal luggage. The 58 seems to run every few minutes so it beats hanging out for a long time in the dreadful area of T1 reserved for users of public transit. The 192 Rocket is also there and if the Bloor subway is of use to you, it's of course a better choice. The York Mills GO bus provides service that is much less frequent than is sensible. Also, if you decide to use the TTC trip planner, you will be fed a stream of hilarious mis-information about your trip. For starters, the thing believes everything is in Scarborough and it gets worse as you try to correct it. Google maps suggest going to Richmond Hill on the GO bus and working your way south form there. It's all bizarre. The general reaction to my trip report in person has been to tell me to take a cab next time.