FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post your experiences: got *G perks without crediting
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:10 pm
GoldCircle

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I would love to know the source of that information. I was always under the impression that there is a payment structure from one airline to another (but then again, I have no source for that either).
I was sat beside a former president of Star Alliance for dinner one night. This issue was once upon a time a serious bone of contention among certain airlines (guess which country doesn't allow its elites in to lounges on domestic fights?) This is a matter that is complex, as certain clubs have pay-for levels (think of UA Red Carpet, for example) where some revenue accounting is called for, but in the main Y pax with *G status entering a lounge of another airline, have their costs picked up by the operating airline.

I understand in oneworld, the cost is picked up by the marketing airline. Seems like a lot of accounting to me.

As a result this 'urban legend' on this board - which can be easily traced back to a single member - is easily dismissed.

Anyone who is bi-lingual will recognise English that has been poorly translated. Like many FFPs, the T&Cs for M&B are written from the internal perspective of that programme.

It is entirely possible for a member to credit their miles to one programme (Lufthansa E fare, anyone?) and use their A3*G to avail of lounge entry/luggage/other benefits.

The only fly in the ointment is that some airline systems will only permit the additional benefit to be processed (I'm thinking luggage particularly) if the status is in the booking...