FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:04 pm
ma91pmh

Programs: A few
I am writing this on the couch of the very nice one bedroom suite we got upgraded to on our annual Whistler joint. Booked a standard room with points but with four of us the extra room of the one bedroom suite has really been appreciated. We were offered a further upgrade to a two bedroom suite for another $200 a night. This seems to compare favorably with the difference in cash rates, but frankly the one bedroom ended up being perfectly adequate so happy that we declined. But a nice option to have been offered. The look and feel of the room is I would say quite rustic but it is very functional and spacious. The kitchen has been great allowing us to make our own hearty breakfasts before ski every day (and we have been every day for a week so legs are starting to feel like they are on another planet...)

The absolute best thing about the hotel is the location. What I really like is it is offset from the village enough to be peaceful, but it is so close to everything. The drop-off for ski school in the morning is right outside, then quick walk to the main gondola. Then at the end of the day drop off your skis with the valet and then short walk back to the hotel. It's another short walk to all the facilities in the village like the grocery store we made much use of!

We did not dine in Aubergine or the lounge bar so can't comment but we did have a couple of dinners at the excellent Ka-ze sushi restaurant which is in the building. It is not officially a hotel restaurant but it is basically right off the lobby. A real treat, very authentic and good fresh fish. We all really enjoyed a lot.

A couple of gripes would be the internet speed is poor... or rather the connection gets dropped or it fails to connect to sites (speedtest shows 2-3mb speeds but pingtest will give you an F score). And the room service menu is pretty limited and the offerings not great (after a day of solid ski-ing we are frankly often too tired to go out)

Still I have to say I have been very happy with our stay here and I would not hesitate to recommend it or come back. Due to my overall points bank balance it's likely next year will be at the Hilton next door but frankly I'd rather come here as seems the Hilton is just a little too close to the bar action and they don't have the nice valet service.

Great place to stay for a trip to Whistler!

Last edited by ma91pmh; Feb 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm