FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVED: Transfer time Sydney airport international > domestic
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:30 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RPRocket
(1) If I am checking luggage, will I need to collect by bags and clear customs in SYD or can I check direct to MEL? Does it matter whether I book a separate domestic ticket or try to bolt this leg onto the existing ticket?
Yiu have to clear immigration, customs & quarantine at first port of call when exiting an international terminal.
Then check in for your next flight and drop bags off.
On some flights [eg UA] you can transit air side, as the UA aircraft goes SYD international to MEL international, and then immigration at MEL.

(2) Does it matter whether I book this leg on Qantas or Virgin Australia given I am traveling internationally on Delta?
Delta & Virgin have a tie up of some kind, but doubt it will make a difference.

(3) Are domestic flights within AUS at a completely separate terminal and do Virgin and Qantas offer the same degree of complexity from Int'l arrivals?
International & domestic terminals are separate is Australia. Each has its own security and no mixing with other pax.
At SYD (and BNE - PER) they are some distance apart, hence the bus - train.
MEL (and ADL) has both international & domestic terminals in the same physical building. A few minutes walk
Both QF & DJ have the same complexity for a domestic flight

(4) I've seen mention of the free QF bus, would I be eligible for this is I book a o/w SYD-MEL on QF?
Yes. Can check in at the intl terminal and take the free QF bus across.
Unsure if DJ offer domestic check in from international terminal

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm