FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The MET dress code
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:09 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fastflyer
...or the wrath of Alan Gilbert from next door will come down upon thee! I believe Analise is referring to the closing bars of the Mahler symphony a couple weeks ago.
That was egregious. I'm referring to my subscription to the NYCB in which one or two people leave their smartphones on to text or even take calls. I don't care as much about dress code since we live in a world in which dressing up is a rarity. I dress for the occasion; if others don't, that's their issue. I care more about respect for the performers and the audience.

Back to the OT -- the members of the Metropolitan Opera Club do ask members to come in evening dress. Some men even put on white tie. Ladies in ball gowns. It makes for a lot of showy fun for this mostly younger set who then filter into the hall for the performance after dinner.
When we were growing up, formal nights often fell on Monday evenings.

Originally Posted by LimeyDi
I just think that dressing up is part of the fun, and even in a standing place at the matinée (shh ... best bargain in New York) I'd avoid jeans and sneakers. Opera is not stuffy nor is it only for what some politicians refer to as the "cultural élite" but it IS special and magical, and I find that dressing up a little helps me enjoy the magnificent music, brilliant performances, world-class orchestra and awesome auditorium even more. I'm sure you will have a lovely time, I hope you do!
^