FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying Blue - Hertz discount code = More expensive
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:30 am
Cupart

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
But there is another way

you can actually use a different discount code and still get the FB miles.

I always use the ANWB discount code, for which from all the rentals I did never got asked to show the card (which I actually don't have)....its 504224. Just before booking you can still say you want FB Miles earned and I always get mine credited without problems

It will give you mostly the cheapest rate possible. I do have to say that I found SFO more expensive for car rentals then what I'm used to.
Thanks for the tip kevinflyaway ^

Originally Posted by irishguy28
This has always been the case - and not only for Flying Blue CDPs (also for other airline mileage programmes) and not only for Hertz. If you want the miles, you do indeed have to pay a little(*) extra based on the rental company's absolute cheapest rates - even though it is indeed a little misleading to suggest that you are "getting a discount" when using airline CDPs.
This is what makes me a novice Thanks for your input. Highly appreciated ^

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
I had the same experience recently in France - it had to do with the #1 Club Gold TOS having changed. Are you a #1 Gold Club member?

In my #1 Club Gold profile, I had declined the optional insurance (CDW, etc) as my credit card covers it. I was informed by Customer Service back in November that Hertz's best rates are usually the "pre-paid" offers (which I often use with my FB/Amex discount) and that these rates by default now include the CDW/TP supplementary insurance coverage. So by having checked in my profile that I "declined" all CDW/TP, the system was defaulting to much more expensive rates. I modified my Gold profile and accepted the CDW/TP by default and now have access once again to the lowest rates.

I am wondering if something similar is not happening in your case - where are you based?
Hi blairvanhorn,

I hardly ever rent cars at any location except when going to the US. Always go for the absolute cheapest option (with a renowned company) as long as it gets me safely from A to B and preferably back again This leaves me with always getting a pre-paid car as my dates are usually fixed (vacation) and don't want or need the flexibility to cancel in the last second!

So to answer your query: No I don't have the Hertz Gold number 1 club card. I remember FB G (and Plats?) were invited to join for free some time back but I declined as I never use it.

Now I know for sure that not take any discounts for granted before asking in here first.

Thanks all for your time replying ^^^