FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SHOCK & AWE: Delta JFK-SFO lunch, the best domestic meal on any NA airline in 10 yrs
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:10 am
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up SHOCK & AWE: Delta JFK-SFO lunch, the best domestic meal on any NA airline in 10 yrs

I readily admit, and those that know me from the DL food thread understand, that I LOATHE most DL food... in particular lunches, snacks and sub-1,500 mile dinners. Indeed they are an embarrassment and simply the absolute worst food in the domestic skies. BUT... I cannot believe what I just experienced and am now writing about. The title says is all. I just experienced the BEST DOMESTIC PREMIUM MEAL since 9/11. Better than any AA meal including three class transcon F, and it put my recent UA p.s. F meal to shame.

DL appears to have "promoted" Michelle and now features a real chef, Michael Chiarello of Napa's wonderful Bottega (as well as The Food Network and Bravo) on the transcons where he has the title Delta BusinessElite Transcontinental Chef. What a sensational experience today.

JFK-SFO
DL 1765
10:15a-1:56p (sked)
10:10a-1:25p (actual)
International 757-200
January 27, 2012
Lunch

Great JFK-based crew today headed by Senior FA Dawn and her front cabin colleague Alex. Multiple PDBs. Dawn stopped by to introduce herself to each seat pair individually, explaining today's flight, service, location of lavs and hand out menus. She then returned prior to push back to take our main course lunch selection.

PRIMO

Antipasto Misto: Smoked prosciutto, san joaquin cheese and fennel-spiced crostini with roasted butternut squash spread.

Pickled Mushrooms, fresh arugula and parmesan dip with warm bread.

SECONDO
Choice of:

Braised Beed Short Ribs
with polenta and sauteed spinach

Fusilli Michaelangelo
corkscrew pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, fresh arugula with pine nuts, fed chili flakes and grated parmesan

Chicken Milanese
thinly pounded crispy chicken breast with salsa rosa, brussel sprouts with pancetta, and fresh arugula with an olive oil and lemon dressing.

DOLCE

Selection of Old World Fine Cheeses
prima donna, cambozola and robiola offered with fresh fruit

Gelato
figgy pudding

WINES
Selected from the BusinessElite wine cellar by Delta's Master Sommelier, Andrea Robinson

Mer Soleil Silver Chardonnay 2007/2008
Medium Bodied. The no-holds-barred pineapple-mango fruit in this wine tastes like trip to Hawaii in a glass. Great for just sipping and with salads, smoked salmon and spice fare. SFO777 Note: $58 on WL at Lark Creek Steakhouse last night. http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=907077

Meiomi by Belle Glos Pinot Noir 2008
This wine shows alluring scents of sweet balsamic, dark cherries, hoisin sauce and baking spices that are a sensory treat on their own or with pastas, meat dishes and cheeses. SFO777 Note: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=724363

Post-depature, our crew spring into action with hot towels, table cloths, drinks and warm mixed nuts in a ramekin.

Service was terrific but a little rushed at the beginning as the PRIMO trays were distributed while most still were enjoying cocktails and nuts.

The PRIMO tray was a culinary orgy of wonderful flavors, all paired well with the pleasant Mer Soleil.

All mains appeared to be assembled and plated by ingredient in the galley as opposed to three hours earlier in the catering kitchen. Although just a tad dry, the chicken was really good, and the brussel sprouts and pancetta with salsa rosa all excellent and of in-restaurant quality. FAs were clearly having trouble figuring out what to do with the massive amount of arugula (an entire plate full of arugula stuffed into a paper cup) that was presented with both the chicken and the pasta main. I realize that arugula is part of the Milanese but the quantity was simply unnecessary.

Cheese plate or Gelato, or both in my case.

The figgy pudding gelato was excellent. Yo, AC, this is how you serve gelato...

Not like this...

And about 90 minutes prior to landing, warm chocolate chip cookies...

What an absolutely complete surprise this was. The BE 752 cabin and seat were most comfortable with quilted blanket, soft full size pillow, amenity kit.

According to FA Dawn, DL loads 22-23 BE meals (the extra 6-7 going to crew depending on the load) which explains why every pax got their first choice main and I did not hear "sorry we are out of that" DL has now leaped to the front of the pack in the JFK-SFO/LAX market. The only negatives are the dumpy JFK terminal and their ridiculous unwillingness to process upgrades prior to the day of departure, and usually at the gate. Today's BE cabin had been 3/16 for a week. I was #1 of 27 on an L fare (connecting from BTV) but no upgrades until the gate. And then upgrades are processed en masse and you get a random seat without the ability to select a specific seat... although I was probably processed first and my profile gave me 3B that I would have likely selected anyway.

Bravo DL on raising the bar and improving domestic food and service. This is now a flight that I might considering actually buying a BE ticket, although at $1,500 or so OW, it is probably still a little too high to fill the cabin consistently with revenue pax.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 29, 2012 at 2:33 pm