FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Peaks Island and Newport
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:21 pm
Kagehitokiri
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Peaks Island and Newport

peaks island

i went up last summer. definitely an interesting place, i will have to check out rentals sometime. apparently cars on the island are not subject to state/local requirements, so you can get an "island only" sticker thing, and take the doors off etc. most owners/renters seemed to zip around on golf carts. and of course lots of bikes.

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
we wandered around the wharf area and caught a ferry out to Peaks Island. We should have spent more time on the water, because the views and sea air and breeze were all wonderful. Next time, we'd probably try to charter a boat or take a water taxi around the harbor -- it was really one of the highlights of the trip. We rented bikes and circumnavigated the island. We had an unremarkable lunch at a restaurant near the ferry terminal where the food was uninspired and the service even worse. Another couple asked if they could select a different table and the server snapped "I don't care where you sit. Do whatever the hell you want." We tried to avoid aggrivating her. The island itself had countless fabulous views and rocky beaches. We enjoyed the bike trip immensely.
Originally Posted by Analise
Your experience at Peaks Island was interesting to read as I've heard about Jones Landing (I'm assuming that's where you had the uninspired meal with the rude server). I've never eaten there but your experience is what I've heard a bit often.
Originally Posted by hhonorman
if you want a good dinner, I don't recommend eating at Jones Landing on Peaks. It is certainly great for drinks and pub snacks like fries or appetizers, but save your dinner for off the island. There isn't much beyond Jones Landing on Peaks as far as food is concerned.
take the Casco Bay Ferry to Peaks Island www.cascobaylines.com Leave your car in Portland, you won't need it on Peaks. There is a parking garage right next to the ferry, and another one about a block away if the one by the dock is full. It costs $6 per person RT. It is a wonderful 20 minute ride through Casco Bay, past some other interesting islands including one with a fortress. You can often see harbor seals on the ride over. Once you get to Peaks, walk up the pier road about a block until you hit the main road. At the corner on the right is a souvenier shop. Go inside and buy a map of the island. It only costs a buck or two, but will help you from taking a wrong turn or two down a dead end street. After leaving that shop, take a left and walk about 100 yrds to Brad's Recycled Bike Shop on the right side of the road. Rent a tandem bike, or a regular one, they have dozens to choose from, and they are dirt cheap. For info call 207-766-5631. Go to the grocery store across the street. Get a bottle of cheap champagne, some snacks, put them in the basket on your bike, and take a nice ride around the road that circles the island (about 4 to five miles (takes about 30-45 minutes to go all the way around at a leisurely pace) find a nice scenic place to stop. Sit, sip some champagne and enjoy a priceless view. There is a huge population of deer on the island so you are likely to see one. After returning the bikes, and while waiting for the return ferry back to Portland, stop into Jones Landing, a restaurant/bar that overlooks the ferry stop. From their deck, you get a million dollar view of the Portland skyline and Casco Bay, and can watch for the ferry while sipping a drink, listening to one of their great live musicians, and munching on some tasty pub food.
I've never had a bad trip to Peaks. I do highly recommend you give a phone call to Brad's Bike Shop before heading to Peaks to make sure they're open for the season. I think they will be on the weekends, but for peace of mind. There's not a whole lot to do on Peaks, so without a bike, it might get a bit boring. With the bikes, you can explore the island, find a nice quiet area around the back side of the island to relax and have a picnic or snack. If you have never tried it, a tandem bike is quite a lot of fun. Brad's usually has two or three tandems to choose from, so you should be able to find one unless it is a particularly busy day.
When you get to Peaks Island, you may want to stop and buy a map of the island. Last time I bought one they were $1. You can find them at the little store (sorry, can't remember the name) at the top of the street where the ferry docks. As you get off the ferry, you will walk up a small street that heads up hill for about a block. At the top of this street on the corner, there is a little store on your left. It is a store that sells candy and trinkets and such. Here is where you can find a map. I suggest you get one if you plan on biking around the island. You can circle the island by bike, but it is not always the same road. Sometimes you have to take a turn or two in the most unlikely places otherwise you'll end up in a dead end. If you have a map, it's a piece of cake. Don't fret if you are unable to get a map, you can't get too lost, afterall, it is a small island. A map will just help save you from unnecessary wrong turns and dead ends, a few of which are hills that you may not feel like trekking up if you are a bit on the lazy side like me.
Originally Posted by Analise
The Casco Bay Ferry lines run year round. I happen to like the ferry because in the off season, it is not a touristy attraction. It's necessary public transportation for those living on the islands. Just bundle up and pick a boat. You can do something as short as 20 minutes to Peaks Island
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
and maybe take the ferry to Peaks Island
Originally Posted by lo2e
including a ferry ride to Peaks Island, would be a nice trip. You can rent bicycles to bike around Peaks