FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why the 2 Piece Luggage rule for the Americas?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:27 pm
serfty
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Eureka!

Originally Posted by caspritz78
Flights to the US use the piece cocept for luggage. Flights to other countries use a weight concept. I think this rule is written somewhere in the IATA rules.. ...
To revive my old thread, this is indeed the case.

While researching IATA resolution 302 (MSC) I can across information on the USA DOT and IATA resolution 301 and 302: (http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2008-0367-0002)

IATA Baggage Resolutions

Composite Resolutions 300 and 301 establish standard baggage allowances for IATA member carriers. They apply not only to interline travel, but also to online travel on a single carrier.

Resolution 300 (Baggage Allowance Weight System) establishes a free checked baggage allowance of 20 kgs. in economy class, 30 kgs. in business class and 40 kgs. in first class, for most non-U.S. international markets. Resolution 300 also establishes an excess baggage charge per kg. of 1.5 percent of the highest normal economy class fare, with certain geographic exceptions where the rate is 1.0 percent of the highest normal economy class fare.

Resolution 301 (Baggage Allowance Piece System) establishes a free checked baggage allowance of two pieces for all passengers, with more generous dimensions in business and first class, in international markets to/from the United States and Canada as well as most non-U.S. transpacific routes. Resolution 301 also contains a list of certain items accepted as free baggage regardless of their actual dimensions. The resolution establishes a system of excess baggage charges on non-U.S. routes for each excess or oversize piece, with the levels of the charges specified in a related series of IATA resolutions.