FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - itinerary help for an all-too-short trip to New Zealand
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:15 pm
tuapekastar

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by jar982
Hello,

I'm going to be landing at AKL on March 1, and flying back out on March 8. That gives me 6 full days to travel around and see as much as I can of New Zealand. Since it's not a lot of time, I was wondering if you all could help me figure out the must-see spots to hit. I'm mostly interested in hiking, scenery, and hitting some local pubs and restaurants.

From what I've read online, it sounds like there is more to see in terms of scenery in South Island than in North Island. It also seems like Abel Tasman Park is a must-see based on recommendations from several different websites. Would it be better to rent a car and drive down to the South (and maybe stop by Tongariro along the way)? Or would it be better to just book a flight to the South to minimize travel time, and just spend as much time as possible down there? OR should I focus more on the North Island?

Any recommendations would be great! Thanks!
I think NZ is bigger than you think.

For 6 days I would pick out a certain part of NZ and concentrate on that. And I think if you are flying into AKL then the North Island should be it. The North Island IMHO is great, the South Island better, but 6 days is simply not enough time to do justice to both.

You could consider: Bay of Islands up north, a very pretty part of the world. The Coromandel Peninsula East of AKL, quite rugged in parts, and definitely worth a visit. Rotorua a few hours south of AKL, hot (and stinky ) mudpools.

TBH, that would use up your 6 days easily.

But if you wish to 'do' the South instead then fly to Queenstown, and check things out around there. Wanaka, Arrowtown, Milford Sound (can fly if budget allows, saves heaps of time), Doubtful Sound, perhaps even Mt Cook, are all options around there.

Originally Posted by AdMEL
I am flying into AKL for exactly the same length of time in mid February. I initially booked the flights a few months ago when they were extremely cheap, without doing too much research on which was the best place to fly to (as you've probably guessed, I haven't been to NZ before). After I'd booked the flights and started researching, I realised I should have booked the flights to the south island rather than AKL, which initially disappointed me. I looked at flying to the south island and also driving - decided driving probably wasn't worth, but could fly.

After doing some more research, I discovered I'd like to see/do more on the north island than I would have time for, so I decided to stay on the north island this time and visit the south island another time. I have the luxury of living quite close, which you may not have!

My interests for N.Z. are similar to yours: walking (probably won't do a great deal), beaches, restaurants/eating/pubs, wine, scenery, driving.

What I'm planning on doing for my week on the North Island (order not finalised):

- Waitomo - black water rafting
- Rotorua - maori cultural show, hot springs, etc
- Drive the Forgotten World Highway
- Spend a day or two visiting wineries in the Hawkes bay area (will probably spend an afternoon or day cycling to wineries), whilst staying in Napier (an art deco town)
- Lake Taupo - possibly bungy jump
- Drive the coast road from Auckland to the Coromandels
- Visit Bay of Islands
- visit relatives at Palmerston North (If I make it that far south)

I will be hiring a car for the whole time and don't plan on spending any time in AKL itself - too many other things to see/do! As it is, I probably won't get to do everything on my list. If I do make it back to Auckland with some spare time, I will look at a bridge climb (not sure on the details at this stage) and/or heading to Waiheke island.
An ambitious (but nice ) schedule, and I agree you wont be able fit it it all in.

As per my previous comments. Coromandel is nice (I have stayed at Whitianga a couple of times, but the Driving Creek Railway near Coromandel town is interesting), as is Bay of Islands, and you could see both in 6 days, but not too much else - maybe Rotorua as well - (unless you're happy to be driving the entire time )