FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA metal, mixed CO/UA flight numbers - will SWU upgrade work?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 6:42 am
rwsteelers

Programs: UA GS, AC Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Sorry about the mouthful, I'm trying to verbalize the weird and wonderful world of two carriers that are united but not quite. I'll try again:

FIRSTLY, applying UA SWUs to UA flights with CO flight numbers

SECONDLY, that my itinerary will consist, in each direction, of a UA flight with a CO number connecting to a UA flight with a UA number

THIRDLY, that I obviously wish to apply only one SWU in each direction of travel
First ands Second:
This is should not be problem, regardless of if your SWA's are in OP account or MP account you can use them across airline/metal

Third: Understand your availability challange on all legs, the USA-GRU one is that which you care about, some Y on a 1-2 hour flight is bearable. Don't know your dates but: CO31 (UA Metal JFK) shows W and R on a few dates I looked at, similiar 861 from IAD, concern with both these as old business class seats. If you are coming from LHR - suggest fly direct to ORD and then connect 843, which has dates with availability and benefit of lie flats in business