FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Really good experiences on Aegean - Same for you?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:56 pm
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by star_crazy
""very classy operation that matches almost anything in the U.S. in our experience. Was this an anomoly?""

The quality of service on most US carries both on the ground and in the air is pretty dreadful. I'm pretty sure when A3 were planning their service model they would have looked at the US carriers as a "how not to do it" example
^

Just had my first experience with A3 from IST-ATH and was most impressed and agree if they did look at the US as an example, it was HOW NOT TO DO IT! Though not A3 STARGold, I am top tier elite with AC and was acknowledged as such at check in with a Fast Track card for Passport Control (security done at the gate at ATH, so no FT for security) and a pass to the lounge A3 uses...though I went to the TK lounge which cannot be matched by any airline in the STAR system.

Boarding was sequenced properly with Business and STARGolds called first. The A320 flight had a pretty light load so had a row to myself, though must say seat pitch is as tight as most European carriers (here they could take a page from UA's E+ or just AC's regular economy at about 32"). Liked the air display map graphics, very informative. Was shocked to be offered a full meal on this one-hour flight, though disappointed the only beer on hand was Heinniken or Amstel and not a local Greek offering, so opted for Greek wine instead (quite acceptable by economy standards).

Crew was pleasant and more attentive than I have found on TK to draw a regional comparison. But what really surprised me was finding my checked bag with the STAR Priority tag on the carousel with three others well before all the others arrived. In fact, when I got to the carousel from Passport Control I thought I saw it just disappearing behind the wall having made a full circuit! (Recalls the days of Ansett when bags were always on the carousel before one made it down there from the plane.)

Only down side to all this was we were an hour late getting off the ground because of the backup at IST, not A3's fault but quite annoying. Still made it to my hotel before the Club lounge closed its evening drinks and food, so all in all a good first arrival into Athens (and Greece). Looking forward to seeing how A3 does on the return in its home territory. However, first, a couple of days exploring Athens!