FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA refusing GE Cards for security checkpoints
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:37 pm
arollins

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Here is a kicker.

I'm licensed Customs Broker working for a a mid-size international freight forwarding company. In order to receive my broker's license, I had to go through US Customs background checks, finger printed and pass an exam. I'm also the license holder for my local branch, as such, I've had to receive a TSA approval for employment and to also allow entrance to the cargo area at the airport, this required an extensive background check including criminal, mental, and financial records. I have a TSA ID for my employment purpose, a copy of the TSA approval letter certifying my ID, brokers license, I also have GE, passport and DL. My TSA ID and letter means NOTHING when it comes to going through security lines. I asked a supervisor on it, and he told me that the ID is only good for cargo purpose only and its not recognize as a valid ID for traveling purpose.
I can literally walk on airport grounds, tarmac, cargo area, with my TSA ID as long as I'm "working" yet I'm not allowed to go through security when catching a flight. Even on my GE profile it clearly indicates that I'm a licensed broker.
You think you have it bad with your GE non approval, I've gone through 3 separate rounds of background checks, have to be re-certified every 3 years and that means nothing, nada, zilch when it comes to going through security.
Funny thing is that as part of my job, I'm also on the forefront of homeland security. Go figure.

Last edited by arollins; Jan 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm Reason: .