FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong First-timer...
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:31 am
BingBongBoy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by CX HK
First off - welcome (in advance) to Hong Kong! I'll try to answer these things as clearly and concisely as possible, and I hope you find it helpful:
I found it VERY helpful... Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. And thank you too for the advanced welcome!

Are you traveling alone? Two cases plus a cabin bag will be too much to be moving around in the MTR with it's many escalators and trains not designed to hold luggage, but you will be completely fine on the Airport Express. Of course, I've seen people do it before (on the MTR), but it may be much easier on you to simply take the Airport Express to Hong Kong Station and then cab it to the Crowne Plaza.
Yes, I am traveling alone... I would not usually travel with this much luggage, but it is part of a longer trip so I have no choice but to bring it.

Having looked at maps again, and done some more reading on train tickets and fares, your plan sounds the best. The MTR Airport Express at $180HK plus a taxi each way to Hong Kong station makes a lot more sense than say $700HK+ for a return taxi trip. You talk good sense! ^

You can expect the taxi to be around HK$350.
Whilst not prohibitive, it all adds up!

Relatively smooth I would say, probably a 10 minute wait. HK immigration is extremely quick and efficient.
Brilliant... I suppose it makes it easier, not having to have a Visa etc... But, brilliant, I don't want to be too late into the city.

Yes, as HK was a former British colony, English is an official language here and virtually all signs, MTR stations, whatever, will have both traditional Chinese and English on them. You will be perfectly fine!
I thought that may be the case, but was not sure if things had changed a lot since Hong Kong being handed back, but that is very encouraging. I will certainly try my best to learn enough to get by, but as I say, languages have never been my strong point, especially one which is very different.

Any questions - feel free to ask or even drop me a PM.
That is most kind, you may come to regret that!

Regards,

BBB