FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2012)
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:45 pm
mnredfox
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Intercontinental Paris - Le Grand

Please not this was an award stay

What is your Priority Club status?
RA

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
For the most part

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest room (Superior Room) and got upgraded to Jr Suite on award. On paid stay booked classic room and had to accept UG to Jr Suite without Club or room I booked with Club. Note, this was considered an exception, it appears this hotel is NOT offering Club access as std RA access and trying to get RA's to pay the 90 euro to UG.

How are the rooms?
Jr Suite was nice, one large main room with bed & two walk-outs to mini-terrace with views of the Eiffel tower, walk in closet, and LARGE bathroom that is open and airy. (Classic room was still roomy)

Main room felt roomy and well laid out, large comfortable king bed.

Nice to have walk in closet with lots of space, didn't use it much though.

Bathroom had nice tub, big sink/counter/mirror and just felt very open. Also a separate walk-out to another mini terrace to walk out onto and take in views, though like the bedroom ones they are all small.

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge is a bit small. They have one small serving area directly behind the seated employees working the desks, and the eating area consists of two small rooms, each with only 4-5 tables in each. Both feel rather tight. You can go to the second floor as well via the small staircase as that room feels more airy and open, but then you have to climb the stairs.

Food has pretty good selection, though evening food is not hot. They do keep fresh snacks and sometimes finger sandwiches during the day.

Despite the smaller selection, the staff works hard to keep it well stocked and also the eating areas clean. ^

Did you receive a welcome gift?
In addition to the fruit plate, got a small box of macarons chocolate as well as a nice tumble coffee mug and personal note from the GM - he actually wrote it too which was really nice. On my paid stay received 2 boxes of chocolate and fruit plate, no other gift.

How was the minibar?
As it was an award stay, I didn't consume from the minibar as welcome letter stated award stays do not include the minibar. On paid stay I used the minibar, it was OK. No red wine, only 2 cans of beer, but good fruit/water/soda pop selection. It was well stocked with snacks too which I didn't consume.

What was good?
Service, club lounge staff excellent. Upgrade was also really nice as I was on an award, as was free internet. Location is convenient as well, very close to Opera stop or right by where the Roissybus drops off from CDG.

What was bad?
None really, club could be bigger but I do like the intimate feel. And I don't like how they are trying to force RA's to upgrade to the lounge. For me, it wasn't til I pressed my FDC (who initially said no to the club request) to ask her manager that she offered UG or club access, not both.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Given the cost to pay in Paris for $$, I'd say it's pretty good deal for 40K. But I also speculate this will go up to 50K soon with the redemption levels changing, so I suggest it would be good for shorter stays or to use your FN certs (eg PC Chase). When paying, it still was a lot higher. Esp if they won't offer club access with UG, it makes me rethink paid stays here.

Would you return?
Maybe.

Last edited by mnredfox; Jan 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm