FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing Money in BKK - Swampy
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:42 pm
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RoninTech
We can do ATM's, exchanges and/or both. Couldn't just be ATM's as we are there for a month and will need more than the daily ATM allowance. Trying to find out what would be the best bang for the buck from the available options on the pre-customs side of Swampy.
Many ATMs have a limit of 10K THB per withdrawal, each of which you'll be charged 150 THB, which means you're paying a 1.5% penalty before your bank assesses their fees. With an exchange (again, in USD) you're looking at a 3% discrepancy versus the exchange in town.

What you'll need to figure out is this: Do the BKK ATMs also give a lower rate than in town?

Originally Posted by tentseller
In my frequent travel in SE Asia (BKK in Sept 2011) I find the best rate is for USD $100 bills. The rate is not as good for smaller denominations.
The rate offered for CDN$ is worse than changing CDN$ to US$ and then Baht.

I always have a collection of B. Franklin portraits when I travel around SE Asia.
The best rates are for $100/$50. Both denominations will receive the same rate.

Originally Posted by tentseller
Swampy ATM charges 150Baht fees on top of what your home bank charges. There might also be daily maximum imposed by the ATM or you bank.
It's not just in BKK, it's at every Thai based banks' ATMs except for Aeon Bank.