FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:54 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Well of course, that was the point that some have made...incidentally the AA cards all have annual fees. The question is whether citibank is issuing any of the chip cards for any of its free credit cards....all the Chase cards, to the best of my knowledge, that have chips have annual fees (and heavy ones at that)......so the quest for a credit card with a chip with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee remains solely, of course, for use in foreign countries other than the USA. For purchases in the USA, one would want a free card with rewards.
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Citi AAdvantage World Elite MC with Chip and Signature has the 3% forex fee @ $85/yr
Actually, AA cards may not have a "net" annual fee.

Do you care if a card has an annual fee if it's offset by something you can definitely use, that makes the "net" annual fee zero (or less)?

AA cards can be obtained through signup offers that waive the first year annual fee.

But then, many people are able to get a retention bonus, multiple years in a row, on Cit AA cards, by saying they're considering cancelling because it's not worth the annual fee to them, and then being offered something like an $85 statement credit (which offsets the $85 annual fee charged the previous month) for 5 purchases (no minimum amount in my past experience). So while you do get charge an $85 annual fee, if you charge $85 in the next month, you don't have to pay for it.

Meanwhile, Chase has several hotel cards that have an annual fee after the first year, but give a free hotel night certificate each year after the first. So again, if you can use the free hotel night certificate, you're likely to save more on that one hotel night than you paid in the annual fee. I call that no "net" annual fee.

Now, getting back to the issue here: Do any AA cards have the chip option yet other than the MC? The reason I ask is because most current offers that waived the first year annual fee, such as away7.citicards.com, are for Visa and Amex only. Many people who have an AA card from a couple years back (when Citi AA favored MC over Visa) are likely to have an MC, but for new signups getting the MC (with a good offer including first year annual fee waived) might be trickier.

And I don't know if any of those Chase hotel cards (Priority Club, Marriott, and Hyatt) that have no "net" annual fee have chip card options yet.