FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avios Cancellation Charge - is this really right?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:57 am
littlefish

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by forextrader
Just spoke with BA customer services - and the rep checked with his supervisor. Award bookings made on BA.COM you get back all taxes and all fuel surcharges, less a £25 fee.

Award bookings made on AVIOS.COM - the Fuel Surcharge is NON REFUNDABLE.

I dont know how this can be made into a sticky - but I believe this is a VERY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE between avios and ba - and as switching miles between the 2 is very easy - all bookings should be made on ba.com only.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all at FT.
Forextrader - Be very interesting to have "the supervisor" quote the para from Avios.com T&C they think they invoking.

From Part M of the Avios T&C (relating to Reward Flight Saver).

" Para 12.
12.Changes to RFS bookings are subject to the change rules contained in the Avios Terms and Conditions. Date and time changes for RFS bookings are permitted for a fee, as stated on avios.com, but name changes are not permitted. Where the RFS flight is cancelled by the Regular Collector more than 24 hours prior to outbound departure, the RFS Cash Price and the Avios Points (or, in the case of Avios & Money bookings, the RFS Cash Price, the Avios Points & the cash) are refundable, for a fee, as stated on avios.com. The actual taxes, fees and charges applicable to a RFS booking are not refundable to the Regular Collector, unless the Regular Collector paid the actual taxes, fees and charges. No refunds are available for cancellations within 24 hours of the departure time."

My bolding. I am suspicious that the bolded bit is what is being mis-read and mis-applied. But these terms strongly suggest taxes, fees and charges are refundable!!