FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On the Uselessness of Avios
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:36 pm
OxonCantab
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yep FT has become the number one site for freeloaders I'm afraid. One look at the hotel and fare glitch threads tells the story.

No loss to BA if the Chase punters decided to go elsewhere.
Are you aware of the significance of many FF programs to many airlines' continued survival? While, I'm not sure of BA's numbers, you would do well to look at credit card companys' role during United's bankruptcy as an example of how the FF program is a revenue generator for most airlines.

If BA doesn't want that revenue stream, fine. But it shouldn't sell millions of miles to Chase to give away to cardholders, and then change the rules to make those miles less valuable after they have sold them. It's like a store selling you a 50% off coupon and then marking up prices.

At the best it's not an aboveboard business practice. IMHO, they were lucky(or shrewd/conniving depending on your perspective) to have structured it this way. If BA UK had contracted directly with the annoyed US cardholders and then pulled this bait and switch, it could very well have run afoul of UTCCR 1999 or EU regs.

But, as I said, to each his own. Considering the revenue they provide which allows for the continued survival of BA exec club, calling Chase cardholders "punters" isn't entirely productive if you want BA to survive and thrive.