FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canon or Sigma
Thread: Canon or Sigma
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:37 pm
Global_Hi_Flyer

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
So, I've got a Sigma f2.8/24-70. It's OK. My last two lens purchases were Canons, both L glass (17-40, and 28-105 IS).

I rarely use the Sigma any more (I got it when I was shooting a lot more film than I do now).

I ran some tests on the lenses - the Sigma really is middle of the pack. A little less sharp, a little more distortion than the L glass, but better than the Canon "kit-type" or "tourist" lenses.

If I need a 2.8 (and sometimes I do, especially with film....) it's OK. The IS on the 28-105 is worth about a stop, maybe a stop-and-a-half when shooting handheld. But I'm shooting digital on a 7D body, so I can effectively increase the film speed, meaning the difference between 2.8 and 4 is insignificant (costs a very minor amount of noise). For film, I'm shooting an EOS-3 body - my experience is that the negative effects of pushing film are greater than the negative effects from pushing the "speed" on the digital camera (esp. on color).

My vote goes for the Canon lens, unless you really can't afford them.