FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should USA card issuers adopt EMV (Chip & PIN)? [Opinion discussion]
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:25 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Sure it would be nice to have such a card, I agree. However, we can't have everything from the start. And the point that you're making today is that an EMV chip is not that important to you compared to no annual fees and cash back incentives. If such is the case, banks will continue to just downplay the EMV by saying "Americans value no annual fees and cash back incentives over EMV, so why bother issuing them."

The only way EMV will ever gain a foothold is when American cardholders start valuing the security and the international compatibility feature of the EMV chip over all the other incentives out there.

To put it into perspective, today is:

US Bank/Chase: we offer EMV cards for anyone interested in them
other banks: we'll play wait and see
American cardholders: meh, EMV isn't that important for me yet; I value no annual fees and cashback incentives to be more attractive
other banks: ok, we'll just issue them for high value clients

When a paradigm shift occurs to:

US Bank/Chase: we're still offering EMV cards for anyone interested in them
other banks: we only issue EMV cards to only our high value clients
American cardholders: Forget all your incentives, I'm sick and tired of being issued replacement cards every three months, having your fraud department shutting my credit card off at your whim without telling me the cause, calling me at odd hours to verify my transactions, and having my card skimmed at Luckys/Michaels/etc. Add all this to the pain-in-the-butt situation where I can't use my card when I travel abroad, forget it! I'm going to US Bank and Chase
other banks: okay, okay, we'll start issuing EMV cards for everyone that wants them too and we'll up the ante with lower annual fees than Chase or US Bank
US Bank/Chase: we take your challenge and do no annual fees
other banks: we then up your challenge by offering 100,000 points in sign up bonus

Then you get what you want.
Or the government can get off its butt and begin requiring emv cards; which is basically the way, as I understand it, it happened in Great Britain. We have this thing in our country that only the free market works but then again, it is the role of government to act in the best interests of the public. Some times I think our total reliance on the free market in this country operates to the detriment of the general public.