FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Narrow Minds and Narrow Bodies - To Denver with the New United, Aer Lingus and FlyBe
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:13 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part VII - DEN-SFO

Sunday morning came around like the ugly thing it is again, after breakfast and checking out, it was time for the off. On time, the shuttle van was ready, and drove the 5 miles back to the airport.

Now going through DIA, I noticed for the first time some of the luggage carousels. Or more precisely - the ski Carrousel's. Now that’s a clever idea!

Clever!

I made my way up to the United check-in desks, passed the massive queue for economy and headed for the elite queues. I then began my battle with the United’s Mr Chicken. And failed as I could get it only to list two of the three segments of the day. Thankfully an agent came to my rescue, and did the check in for me manually, and tagged my goodie rucksack all the way to Belfast International. I thanked the staff (who were in love with my accent for some reason), and headed down from check in to TSA land. With the Star Gold on my Boarding Pass, I was allowed access to the elite queue, and I self selected a lane without a nude-o-scope in it.

I was through security in a few minutes, with no scans, or asking - only to find the tube of Carmex was in my pocket still.

Oops.

From there it was downstairs to then shuttle train. And what an amusing thing that is with the jovial jingles and happy sounding announcer. Maybe too happy. Still the train deposited me at the B Gates, and after getting my bearings, it was time to visit another United Club

B Gates

Lounge Stop United Club (Red Carpet Club) Denver-East

At the entrance the dragon was awaiting, and was asking if I had an international segment on my flights today. I had all the coupons to hand so she ummed and ahhed, and kindly decided to let me in.

How kind.

I proceeded upstairs to use the WiFi to call home, check my mail and drink a few glasses of orange juice to properly wake up. And admire the view (bear in mind conditions were awful the day before, and the most of I’ve seen of Denver is at night - so this was my first view of the Rockies)

Soon enough, boarding time arrived, and it was down to the gate for the continuation of the madness that is the mileage run. The local signage confused me at first stating the flight was for Hong Kong, but then changed to San Francisco. So we have United doing it’s 1 flight number, 2 birds thing. Elite boarding was called, with people jumping in, whilst I patiently waited for Star Golds to be called. The gate agent on the other hand was telling people off as they cheekily went past. When my time came, I was waved through.

At the gate

I went down the cold jetway, onto my 3rd 757-200 in 3 days.

Leg 5 Denver International Airport - San Francisco International Airport
UA869 - United Airlines (as United Airlines), Boeing 757-200, Seat 29A, Economy Class (United Blue Tulip)
967 miles flown, 966 miles earned
Channel 9: Off

Thankfully the welcome was warm - like the plane - when I boarded, and I once again made my way down the back of the plane. With the two bags I had, I popped the laptop and camera bag my the floor with the coat, and my backpack in the overhead bin.

The plane packed out with about one seat remaining aboard the whole plane - it seemed the early flight to SFO was popular today.

The safety video played on the overhead monitors (again a different one to the one I saw on the UA bird on Friday!) and soon enough we taxied past the Animal Gates at Denver, before turning and heading for the sky on a rolling takeoff. Again, those P&W 757 engines - like the RR 757 engines are powerful beasts and it felt like the captain wasn’t sparing the horses this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFkBsC6bN8E

The climb-out took us upward with Downtown Denver to left, before heading over the Rocky Mountains and onto San Francisco.

Climbout - Denver in the distance

Clearing the Denver/Golden area

As we climbed out, Elbow as playing on the iPhone, with an appropriate song as we cracked through the clouds

Drinking in the morning sun....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0wDYWyYRQo

Service commenced with a snackbox and drinks service. I opted out of the snackbox, but had a diet coke to wake up on. Because of my sleeping pattern, I was more my “normal” sleeping pattern, so to me, this was Sunday wander outside the flat time. And yes, I’m lazy, but Sundays are lazy days.

Coke Zero

Against the sun

Again, the jet-streams were up to their usual tricks with a fair olde bit of chop, but nothing earth-shattering or drink spilling. People were still ignoring signs and heading for the small room.

In comparison to the Continental 757, the United 757’s... could do with a little love internally. Whilst there was nothing stand out bad, the cabin did look very tired and it could do with a Continental Cabin refresh - with some decent IFE.

Crossing California

Speaking of IFE, the TV monitors were working, but the audio in my row wasn’t. I flagged down a flight attendant when she was doing the drinks service who managed to bring the audio back. Sadly, the Captain wasn’t in a Channel 9 mood

Soon enough the snow on the hills had evaporated as we lined up for San Francisco with a gentle landing at SFO.

From nature to mankind

The plane speeded through to gates at SFO, docking at Gate 81 and once again the sea of humanity took its time disembarking.

Overall: For a 2 hour hop, the service was adequate and well delivered. The problems encountered were fixed and the staff friendly as usual. I just wish the captain had stuck on Channel 9...

A San Francisco panic

Heading off the plane, there was one priority - to get some decent chocolate for the folks back home and demonstrate the Hershey company doesn’t have an exclusive on chocolate in the USA. I quickly repacked my back on landing and headed off to the Ghirardelli chocolate shop (where I stocked up on bits for friends and family). Looking at the time on the board I had a good half hour before boarding - time for a United Club Visit

United Club (ex Red Carpet Club)

After a short wait as there was a queue, I was welcomed in the lounge and another WiFi Card given. It was then the usual opportunity to hammer the OJ Machine and sit down to do some image downloading.

I then had a look around. Where was the PITA Canon EOS 50D gone? Check bags. Nope. Under Coat? Nope. Under Chair? Nope.

To quote the opening line from Four Weddings: Oh ****, ****, ****ity ****! (fill in the stars )

I sunk the OJ in a flash and retraced my steps back to the gate where I asked a gate agent if a camera had been handed in. And someone must had been looking down on my that day as a slightly beat up 50D with a even more beaten up 17-40L lens was handed back. I profusely thanked the agent, cursed that I had no camera strap for that thing.

That and this EOS 50D and me are not getting on (for various different reasons I should add).

After the madness.. a bit of art

Camera in hand, I headed down to Gate 86 where the 737 was waiting for loading for the trans-con run. Boarding announced, and at the appropriate time, I made my way aboard.

Last edited by Kevincm; Dec 12, 2011 at 3:25 pm