FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairmont Vancouver Hotel vs. Waterfront
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:56 am
Jasper2009
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by upgrade1$
Hi all - Any thoughts on one vs. the other? I have to go to a conference in Vancouver (never been) for 10 days in March and am interested to hear your opinions.
Vancouver is a fantastic city! The two Fairmont hotels you mentioned are just 10-15min apart on foot, the Waterfront is a newish hotel near Coal harobur while the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is the traditional "grand dame" Fairmont hotel, both are pretty nice, but people obviously have different tastes. ThereŽs also the Fairmont Pacific Rim, my personal favourite overlooking Coal Harbour.

Originally Posted by upgrade1$
Also, I 'm new to FPC but should be a FPC Plat next year (just got my 5th qualifying night in via the canadian Amex plat promotion) - any suggestions on getting a room upgrade? If I book say a fairmont king can I upgrade to junior suite using a room upgrade certificate? When does FPC recognize plat status for 2012 anyway? Thanks!

J
If youŽve already done the 5nights you could call FPC and nicely ask whether theyŽre willing to bump you up to Plat status immediately, otherwise your status will be valid from March 1, 2012 - Feb. 28, 2013.

Regarding upgrades you pretty much have three options:

1) book through AMEX FHR / Virtuoso / another TA that offers additional perks at some Fairmont hotels like comp. breakfast, comp. one-category upgrade (cofirmed or based on availability at check-in). If you donŽt have a corporate rate this is a good option for the benefits, but donŽt expect much in terms of upgrade IMO
2) use your room upgrade certs (youŽll need 2 as one is valid for up to five nights): youŽll get a confirmed upgrade to the next room category, e.g. Fairmont -> Fairmont View; Fairmont room -> Deluxe room etc.
3) use your suite upgrade certs (again youŽll need to use both) and youŽll get a confirmed upgrade from a Fairmont room to either a Junior Suite or a One-bedroom suite (eligible suites vary by hotel)

You may get a minor upgrade as a Plat when not doing any of the above, but comp. upgrades are not part of the FPC benefits.