FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reward Points Newbie - I've got questions!!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:36 am
HPN-HRL

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by cstewart27
The coach tickets are $289 on either leg right now, but I don't have international calling.

Can you explain how the the Biz upgrade process works? I've seen it mentioned on quite a number of posts, but I'm still not certain that I know how the process works.

Any advice on strategies for future use of reward points. How far out are reward flights posted? Should I book early or book late?

We completed the card application late Aug on our flight, so our credits weren't posted until mid-Nov. So far, the BIZ+ tickets have been available, but it all makes me nervous!!!

Thanks for the advice.
To use credits for a business class upgrade:

Call AirTran any time the day before your scheduled flight (i.e. if you are flying on Feb 18th, you can call just after midnight at the beginning of the 17th), and say you want to use credits to upgrade a flight. Give them your flight info, and they will take care of the rest.

Credit upgrades "cost" 4 credits per one-way flight - that means CAK-ATL-CUN can all be upgraded for 4 credits if that is how you bought your ticket [2 separate tickets CAK-ATL and ATL-CUN would require 4 credits to upgrade each ticketed leg, for 8 credits total]. Of course, seats have to be available in order to get the upgrade.

I hope this helps!

P.S. Those of us with elite status can call two days before flying to upgrade, so take a look at the seat map for your flight before calling to make sure that Biz class seats are still available.

P.P.S. - @travelingfool23: I received another A+ credit on my most recent Barclay's statement.

Last edited by HPN-HRL; Dec 9, 2011 at 11:40 am Reason: added PPS