FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Below Knee Amputee Airline Travel Questions
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:17 pm
swisswuff

Just announce you will pop it off and then do it.

I have it easy, comparatively. All things being relative I "enjoy" PWD or amputee identification on sight but the advantage is that I never have to disclose stuff as it is apparent, always. With legs, not so easy.

When I wear a prosthetic arm, security is a night mare. They never do trainings on that. They have no idea what a body powered arm is. They are absolutely clueless. Once a security guy insisted I keep my pullover on after I volunteered to take it off so he could see all the stuff. He then stood in front of me while letting his fingers follow the cable to my back and as it curves around to the other shoulder he almost hugged me by then, at the same time he was visibly nervous and trembling, probably thinking it was a bomb thingy or so. So I started to tell him that I don't need to be hugged by perverts that don't know their job and obviously he didn't exactly cheer up. As I was definitely fed up then I started my usual routine of sharp snide remarks and dry laughs and the person left the examination room a short time later. I encountered inexperienced untrained people a lot. I usually complain to the airports in writing and often later, like half a year later or so, they are a tad bit better. Still, wearing the prosthetic with parts squeezing against my back in an airplane seat and restricting my shoulder is a bit uncomfortable for over 2-3 hours. Then I will take things off, too. I just go "excuse me", take it off, if it smells which it always does I go "uh!" and put it away. The other people do their best to not freak out as the person that posted previously but I cannot cater to all of these guys needs I'm afraid. No one ever asked me to buy them a beer for compensation, so it can't be THAT bad, also everyone is a bit of a voyeur and can't take their eyeballs off. I usually make some more dry jokes like, "it's worse in summer" when it is winter, and the other way around. Just to keep them entertained while we suffer through breaking taboos and stuff we are forced to go through together.

When I travel without the prosthetic on, things are a lot better inasmuch as security is concerned. It takes me ages to put my belt back on and I take my time doing it. However with just one hand, handling the airplane food on a minimal area of action usually is too much for me technically, and, mostly, too much for my neighbour mentally. At the latest then I start back on the snide remarks and dry humor, if not for their then at least for my own entertainment. Also, I just punk my way through, and if there be sauce and meat pieces all over I shove them into the newspaper holder or under the seats. If the juice pusher asks me whether I need assistance I always answer with "No!" and when she is gone I tell my neighbor "I'm a man!! Does no one realize I will *never* answer that question truthfully?". Usually a nervous laughter is the response. Once I tried to open the peanuts. They all went on the floor of the corridor. I was, "oh well". After half an hour the fragments were so small you didn't even know there had been peanuts. Things work out by themselves, all you have to do is learn to lean back and accept fate.

But as chgoeditor posted: I never cause surprises. It's not a surprise I have a hard time getting peanuts open with one hand! When my prosthetic arm starts to hurt I will subtitle that experience. When I have to take it off the other guys are as relieved as I am. Can't be mean to others, for sure.

You know, I get pushed back sometimes, and have a hard time, but I am not bothered any more. If there is a flight I have to take - I just go and avoid any strenuous attempt of camouflage or otherwise. If I feel like it, I pop my parts on or off just as it comes in handy. I stopped catering for other people's eventualities. No one ever told me in the face they had a problem with it. We are all human and airplanes are difficult for everyone. If the person next to me has a weak bladder I am not upset or angry. We'll work it out. Other people are the same with me and my arm. It's weird and strange, some situations are funny, gory - but most of the time, we all look out for each other even if only in a limited way.

Usually when the ice breaks and I am chewing on some food after having fought the food package with my prosthetic arm on if I am wearing it, the first question will be "how do you control it?". Really, people have no idea about body powered arms. So, still chewing as that's when curiosity strikes them, I answer truthfully and by spitting a tad bit of my food back "Pure will power". And after swallowing down I might add "and cookies". I never smile or twinkle or give any cues for other people to tell if I make a joke. Also I am a real Andy Kaufman fan.

I mean, just relax and take it as it comes. You could just tell your neighbor "Don't be afraid alright? This (point to leg) thing comes apart. So do NOT freak out when I take it apart now, alright?" and not missing a beat THEN you clonk it off - simple as that.

Last edited by swisswuff; Dec 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm