FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I intend to run for President of the TalkBoard and I am going to tell you why.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:55 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by essxjay
Ultimately ultimately to IB.
IB has been pretty awesome about letting the guards run the asylum. I'm simply suggesting letting the inmates have a fuller say in how it's run too.

Koko, what do you believe is so inherently or normatively deficient about self-set standards? Aren't TB's rules largely self-set?
Because they are done in secret. Transparency would be better. So would having folks other than the enforcers have input on them. The TB guidelines process was transparent and open to comment and input by all posters. The mod selection process is done in secret using guidelines that are not open for review and the best practices are kept under lock and key.

I'd venture that you find the management structure does make sense but that some of the particulars personally rankle you. It doesn't follow that what you don't like is a normative matter. Perhaps you could you expand on what you mean by 'ultimate accountability to the posters'? There's something rather charged about that statement but the more I read it the more vague it sounds.
Actually I am not 100% sure what the entire management structure even is, because 1) the best practices guide is a semi-secret, 2) Mod training is done in private and 3) I don't know what else I don't know.

Aren't we already and constantly analyzing FT's structure?
Who is 'we'? Certain aspects of FT's structure are only analyzed by those allowed to talk about it in the moderator forum. Again, in secret.

I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to you though. You are on the inside. That's what I mean when I say that people with different jobs around here have very different perspectives...