FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo ... or leave it ?
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:33 pm
robyng
In memoriam

I think one difference between our trip in 2006 and a trip today is that the US$/JY exchange rate was a little less than 90 cents for 100 yen then - over $1.25 now. Reckon I could compute the Canadian$/JY cross in US$ terms - but I'm too lazy right now . At the time of our trip - we thought that Japan - even Tokyo - was reasonably cheap.

Also - a note to the OP - the restaurant prices aren't so bad when you consider that tipping is simply not part of Japanese culture. And when I looked at some prices today - well the room we stayed at in Tokyo at the FS is now 15% cheaper than it was during our trip in 2006 - due to a combination of lower room rates and free nights. I think that Japanese tourism may be hurting due to radiation scares. (The aftermath of the earthquake wouldn't affect restaurant pricing as much - since there are about 30 million people who live in Tokyo and they like to go out to eat.)

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I think Japan is a wonderful place to visit - one of the most enjoyable trips my husband and I have ever taken. It is also a very hard act to follow. I'm trying to plan our travel for 2012 now. And when I start to read about some places I'm considering - I get turned off by reports of shady practices when dealing with tourists - pollution - problems with sanitary conditions (my husband and I are *very* bad when it comes to taking food precautions in second world countries) - etc. Robyn