FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo ... or leave it ?
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:34 pm
JordanNite

Tokyo ... or leave it ?

I want you to know the power of this post ... this thread is out of pure desperation to help me come up with a decision, what you reply may swing me one way or another. I've been tossing and turning now for a few weeks now about wether i should go to Tokyo or not. Time is precious, so when i plan a trip it has to be right, as i don't often get the chance to vacation. This thread is out of pure desperation to help me come up with a decision, what you reply may swing me one way or another.

I'll be in Bangkok for some work around the first few weeks of January, and have a five day schedule break in between. I'm urging my wife to make a trip up to Tokyo, but she is dead set against the idea. I'm talking a massive irrational against the idea, she just doesn't fancy the idea.

We've done Singapore, Hong Kong, and a few other asian cities in the past year. We just had a close friend who returned and said Tokyo was quite boring, and wasn't much to do or see there. Naturally, different strokes for different folks, and we enjoy it even if he didn't, but he is of very similar ink to us, and we usually enjoy the same things. Boring goes against the grain as how i always envisaged Tokyo to be, rather as some future like city (ideas subsconciously flowing through when Japan was a superpower back in the 80's at the cutting edge of all technology).

Also the fact is i'm going in January and here it's going to be rather cold. I don't mind cold at all, infact i love certain cities like New York, Paris in the winter. But i draw the line at being uncomortably cold.

And the fact that perhaps alot of the infrustructure is running at low speeds sinse the earthquake .. eg the lights at Shijinku and all that (hey those lights are a big deal for tourists, imagine Times square without them!).

We're both mid 20 year olds, like going to tourist attractions, seeing cultures, eating at nice restaurants, hate going for walks in the countryside and admiring pompous artwork or views ... what do you all think? Shall we venture out there?

Last edited by JordanNite; Nov 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm