FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'The Hope Seat' and other special UA traveler stories
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:43 am
MPsince1984

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
'The Hope Seat' and other special UA traveler stories

Originally Posted by stimpy
Butt In Seat. So yes, actual flight miles on UA owned and operated aircraft. And good for you, enjoying travel and all!

Sorry, but if I always have a fat guy put next to me, why should you get the lovely lady? If I find out that you got a cute interesting woman put next to you, I shall write a very angry letter to the CEO of United. Hmmm, come to think of it, that sums up several hundred posts in this thread. The CO people are getting sat next to an attractive woman with a fun personality. And the UA people are getting the fat guy. The only thing is frequent flyers should realize that they can get up and move if it really ruins their day. And adults realize they should just relax and deal with it. There are other problems in life.
True story: On my last SFO to MSP flight a couple weeks ago, I boarded fairly early near the front end of Silver, and found myself being pushed (literally) by some very aggressive passenger all the way down the jetway, and again as I boarded the plane. She kept bumping into me, banging her large (way too large to be legal) carry on into my leg, stepping on the heel of my shoe, and so on. She was still banging into me as I approached my E+ seat 10A, so as I hurried to put my own bag in the overhead, it was all I could do to not get trampled.

I looked down and saw that a beautiful woman was already occupying the middle seat. (seriously? finally?) I apologized as she stepped out to let me in. We traded a few funny comments about the aggressive passenger who had been a giant hurry to get to her seat in the very back of the bus on the fully booked flight.

After a couple minutes of pleasant exchanges, our isle seat mate arrived, and (are you kidding me?!?) she too was very pretty with a terrific smile! I recall thinking "This may be the best flight ever!" as all three of us instantly bonded with friendly banter.

A few minutes later a tiny woman was trying (unsuccessfully) to lift her bag into the overhead bin directly across from us. I was reflecting that if I was in the isle, I would have easily been able to step up and assist her. Right at that moment, I noticed the row numbers directly across from us: 11 D/E/F

Talk about a giant FAIL on my part! I was so distracted by the aggressive passenger behind me, that my brain must have just assumed I was in heaven (row 10). I screwed an embarrassed smile on my face and moved up a row. One minute later the passenger in 10B arrived. You guessed it: the now standard 310 lb former offensive lineman. <sigh>

I may never get the MM status, but please (just once) let me at least get seated next to Ms. 11B & C! LOL