FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Smooch of Chicago and a Kiss of DC - LHR-ORD-IAD-LHR with United
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:49 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part IV - ORD-IAD

Right. Back to the flying malarkey.

So Monday turned around I checked out and paid the internet fees, and it time to queue up for the shuttle bus, once again it was on the shuttlebus (which was without chaos thanks to a husband boarding a bus, and the girlfriend not, and then… oh domestics). Finally, we made our way to O’Hare with the shuttle bus dropping off at premier access.

Convenient as I needed to be there.

I checked in with the machine, and saw nothing in E+ that looked valugely intresting. I therefore stuck with 40A for the evening flight, and kept the domestic leg the same.

However, it seems my luggage tags didn’t come out. A bit of tapping, and two tags spitted out, with the agent saying I needed to pay for the excess weight (except if I was a Star Gold).

BMI Gold (Or Lufthansa Sentaor) = Star Gold.

Sometimes I love to be right.

I looked at both security lines – and it was 7:40AM at O”hare on a Monday. So I headed to the non premier lines and went through.

Now I don’t know about you, but I’m fairly relaxed over security in the UK or Europe even. The only place in the world I really get het up about the entire process is the USA. Or more precisely, O’Hare (knowing the oncoming damage that can occur). Of course the TDC got her magic light that proves nothing out, and then I went to to the machine where no one knew how to follow protocol, nor seemed to be organised. And then I saw at pracilcially at every queue they have a backscatter machine.

Things the TSA might or might do

The Eric Cartman officer on duty was filtering people one way or another – and thankfully I was filtered through the scanner arch as opposed to the backscatter machine. My luggage scanned, I was able to grab my stuff in trays, move it to the shoe area, reassemble it, and take a picture that all of us need to remember as this is the only way the idiots in the TSA will EVER learn.

Looking at the clock, I knew I had bugger all time for the lounge, so I headed down the mind control tunnel between B and C Concourses and straight over to C11 for the flight.

Down the mind control tunnel

Heading down C Concourse

Thankfully, I made it to the gate where the call had gone out. Waiting for the 1K’s to board, Star Golds and Premiers Execs were called. Time to get on-board this chariot of the day

UA382 Chicago O’Hare International - Washington Dulles International
United Airlines, Boeing 757-200, Seat 40A, Economy Class
588 Miles flown, 600 Miles earned
Channel 9: On - but very quiet....

I think we can all agree that the 757 can be a very nice plane no matter how airlines try and abuse it. This United 757 whilst not in tip top condition, was looked after at least.

Making my way to the back, there was a lot of people pre-boarded already, and the gate area had was packed solid - indicating a full flight. In fact, looking around I could count one seat free during the flight

As I went through my pre takeoff sequence (passport in pocket, credit card wallet in coat, keys where I can find them after the “Korean Incident”, count rows backwards then forwards), I reached under the seat.. and found no life jacket. Slightly worried, I pulled out the safety card, and found this was a non-over water bird, and one was meant to hug the pillow if you landed in the drink – and survived the process. This is why kids it’s always an excellent idea to read the safety card.

A bit late, we pushed back and the safety video with Jeff and his darling pretty things walking around O’Hare played. Well sort of. As the tape machine broke down a few times. This happened still as we were taxing around O’Hare. By the time the plane taxied to the International Terminal, the video had finally played completely, and the cabin secured for take-off.

The one thing about 757’s is that no matter what engines you slap on those birds, it always feels like a rocket when they take off - this 757 was no different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPLxi9t480o - Take off video

As we turned out of the O’Hare vicity I saw the Loop and Downtown Chicago from my side of the plane. Was I going to strike gold once - or was the plane going to to turn a different direction?

I struck Gold.

More over here.

And you know what that was the highlight of the flight.

Drinks service was slow as anything, but a Coffee and a Diet Cola was delivered to me (I’m easy to keep amused on a flight) and I just sat back and watched the world go by.

Coffee

Crusing

The crew again weren’t in an over communicative mood, rather just doing the service and scurrying back to the galley, but wandered out a few times for clear-down duties.

Through a side

Soon enough, it started bumping, and it was time to land, and the cabin was secured down as the plane made it’s way onto 19C at Washington Dulles

Finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3IWJgFbVmY

A short drive around IAD to the D Gates, and the plane docked at D8, completing it’s mission. Again, it was the mass escape from the plane, and I grabbed my stuff, and took my leave out of 2L again.

Overall: Nothing much to report really. Just your bog standard 1 hour 30 minute domestic hop. The tour over Chicago and Lake Michigan was appreciated, but the service was.. unnoticeable.

Now I’m at Washington Dulles International with a 12 hour connection... what can one do. I could 1) sit in a lounge and bore myself silly or 2) head lovely aerospace museum just down the road.

Which do you think I did?

Last edited by Kevincm; Nov 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm