FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay waiting for 747-8I service entry before jumbo decision
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:49 am
g.yau

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
Cathay waiting for 747-8I service entry before jumbo decision

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...cision-364252/

Cathay Pacific will make a decision on an order for new jumbo aircraft only after evaluating the performance of Boeing's 747-8 Intercontinental, which is due to enter into service in 2012.

The company has in the past said it would make a "substantial order" of 10-15 aircraft if it goes ahead. These, and the airline's existing orders for Boeing 777-300ERs and Airbus A350s, would replace the 21 Boeing 747-400, 11 Airbus A340-300 and some older Airbus A330s in its fleet.

Cathay, however, will not follow the likes of Lufthansa and Korean Air Lines and order both types of aircraft as that would not "make sense" for the airline.

"We would like only one type of aircraft in our fleet as that would be more economical. I don't see how having both would work for us," said Slosar. "By next year, we will get details on the strengths and weaknesses of both aircraft and how they will fit into our route network, and be in a better position to make that decision."