FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Referral links in signatures - clarification needed
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I don't have a problem in principle with referrals, but the rules should not encourage posts whose primary purpose is to generate referrals to the poster. A link pointing to a conga is great, because a potential referral to an FT member is not wasted.

I am not sure where "PM me for a referral" fits here. I can see cases in which a valued contributor has truly earned some referrals by identifying a lucrative offer for members. There is also value in informing members that referrals are a cost-free way to benefit their fellow members. Yet the conga approach accomplishes most of this, with bragging rights to the originator of the conga.

If there is to be a strict rule against begging for referrals, the moderators need to be willing to enforce it strictly. Mods being human, and therefore sometimes lazy (at least taking myself as an example), this is a potential problem.

There is also the question of whether or not this should be TalkBoard's call. I believe that the TalkBoard should express an opinion on the issue while deferring to the Community Director to coordinate with the moderators and make a final decision.

As for me, I lean toward agreeing with kipper.