FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island 2 day trip
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:04 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Might leave the observatories for another trip. Not all rentals are allowed up there (or on Saddle Road, sadly).

Definitely a good idea to spend a night Hilo-side. As others have pointed out, it's a looong drive from Kona to Hilo.

I just got back. Didn't have time, but asked a very knowledgeable local friend about the green sand beach (he fishes out at South Point a lot). Don't remember the exact distance, I'm guessing a mile and a half, but definitely walkable. Since you've been to the islands before, you know to lock the car, don't leave valuables visible...

I just got back and your post is making me homesick to go back already!

At VP, you might check out Mauna Loa Road, if you get time. Paved road, about 11 miles, fantastic views.
Enjoy BI.. I'm glad to hear you hit the volcanoes..

You don't need to go all the way up to the summit.. there is an observation centre half way up, and on certain nights, they run a stargazing program.. and videos are running constantly at the centre about what's happening there..

Imoloa, science center in Hilo is a great place to visit as well.. lots of exhibits, shows, and interactive science there.. Great for kids, and adults interested in Space..