FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - large checked bag Rimowa. Topas or Limbo?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 am
joorinainen

Originally Posted by dko3tgk
I have a Topas now and love the lightweight and strength. The size I have is the 29" (xxx.70) But the aluminum gets banged up bad everytime I fly and recently one of the solid metal bumpers got the rivets knocked out. However the bag protecs the contents better than any nylon bag could. (wine, other fragile items, etc.) Plus I love no zippers.

Its a great size for 1-1.5 weeks, but too small for 2+ weeks. I'm looking at getting a bigger bag. I always fill my bag to maximum capacity on the return, and the maximum weight of 50 lbs. Rimowa just released a new size xxx.73 or 30" which is supposed to be the maximum linear inches allowed by airlines.

The Rimowa authorized repair shop that I just used said that he sees Salsas coming in regularly for repairs and that after 5 years the polycarbonate can't be fixed and can't be replaced out of warranty. However a Topas is aluminum and can always be banged out as long as it isn't punctured.

I'm not considering any nylon luggage because I'm done with fragile zippers. And nylon bags are heavier at the same size by 2-5 lbs. (ie, no B&R)

I like the Limbo since it seems to a Topas with no zippers and a metal frame, but with Salsa polycarbonate halves.

What do you all think?

Topas-Repairable indefinitely, stronger. But more expensive slightly heavier and dents easily, and more expensive.
or
Limbo-Lighter, cheaper, no dents. But not as strong and can crack and not be repairable.
I was in the same situation as you and found that biggest Rimowas hold up 104litres. I ended up with Samsonite Cosmolite 85cm/32'' which holds 131,5litres weights 3,8kg, has four wheels and 10year warranty. It is absolutely gorgeous!