FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island 2 day trip
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:49 am
texmanufan

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Keep in mind it is a minimum of 3 hours drive each way from Kona airport to Volcanoes NP. There are speed traps between the Green Sand Beach and Volcanoes NP.

I guess you already know you will need a 4 wheel drive to make it to the Green Sand Beach. Even so when I did this, we saw three 4 wheel drivers that weren't brave enough and turned back. It was worth it for us, but I think this will add 2+ hour detour to your trip between Kona & the NP.

Good recommendation to stay at the Sheraton Keauhou. It is along the southern route to the NP that you will need to take to go past the Green Sand Beach.

Btw, the Big Island is my favorite. I have spent four full weeks there over the last six years and haven't even seen everything I want to yet. With two days you aren't even scratching the surface.

Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

There are some nice B&Bs near Volcanos and a thread here with some good recommendations here in another thread. You can fully explore the park and then turn in without having to make the long drive back to Hilo or Kona. If VNP is the real intent of the trip.
Agree about staying at B&B near the NP. Seems like spending second night there would be the way to go. First night at the Sheraton Keauhou or somewhere near makes sense as you are getting in late. This way you are driving one way each day.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:14 am Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts