FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:15 pm
andysiz

I did not receive a targeted email or other message, but after logging into Amex site and browsing cards, this offer was available for the Surpass upgrade. Is this standard now?

Was going to go for it but with the Premium Room redemption fiasco....Not so much.

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
I would imagine once you paid the annual fee (wether pro-rated or full-boat) AmEx simply submits paperwork to upgrade your HHonors account to Gold then it would be up to HHonors terms and conditions for how long your Gold status lasts and has nothing to do with your AmEx membership year (expiration date per-se).

Since you are in the second half of the current year, a status upgrade would be good until February 2013. (The remainder of the current calendar year & the entire next calendar year would be your upgraded "year", but because HHonors cycles status in February for some reason, you would also get the first two months of 2013.) At least, that is my understanding of the system.

Also, I should mention this seemed to be a targeted promotion. Not sure how to get "targeted" other than to hit the AmEx website a couple days in a row "checking out" the Surpass card but never upgrading. Thats what I was doing when the email came.