FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Enterprise Proof of Insurance Requirement
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:26 pm
ucfjoe

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by CMK10
I run an independent rental car operation and I require all new customers to show proof of insurance. I will call their agent and verify it over the phone if I have to. Also, when I travel I always have my insurance card in my wallet in case people ask. Looking at it from their perspective, perhaps it was an attempt at a sale, but I have been burned by people who claimed to have full coverage, then wrecked the car and it turned out they had none.

Hence why I choose to undertake the extra effort to make sure the customer has full coverage.
I completely understand the reason in which you, especially as a smaller operator, would want to verify insurance.

However, in this instance I am a somewhat regular customer with Enterprise who has rented from this specific location 15-20 times alone. If this is a well documented policy then I understand that is their business' right to make the request but I have been unable to find where this is written policy. I just about always decline the rental companies insurance and have never been asked for proof of insurance in the 200 ish times I have rented a car.

I think that you are probably right in that this was a thinly veiled attempt to get me to buy their insurance.