FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please critique Oman itinerary
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2011, 12:58 pm
tebfunk

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you for recent comments. Would I be better served to cancel my Al Ain Hilton booking and spend two nights in Fujairah, using my day there to drive to Musandam?

Most information on the ferry appears to be from 2008 and 2009, including this scathing albeit amusing writeup.
Well, yes, the Ferry has some opportunites ;-)

You *could* add a second night in Fujairah, but unless you are a very late sleeper you'll have oodles of time, and although it's probably the cleanest Hilton I've ever been in it isn't otherwise that impressive of a hotel.

If you want to go to Musandam you could drive from Fujairah in a couple of hours (driving through the UAE, The 89 to the 88 to the 18 to the 11). The roads through Oman in that part of the country are not as good. I might add a night at the Hilton in R.A.K. instead, but it depends on what type of travel you like; how much time you like to spend at the hotels versus driving in a day etc.

Distances are short in that part of the world, but if you don't like spending a lot of time in the car an overnight in Al-Ain is not a bad option. We made several trips to Muscat from Abu Dhabi, and even on the first trip (where we didn't leave until 10, got lost in Al-Ain, had to stop everywhere) we made it to Muscat around 6:30.

You're going to have such a great time - if someone offered me a job there I would move to Oman tomorrow!