FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please critique Oman itinerary
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:47 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We've got 6 full days (7 nights) to spend in Oman. My current thoughts are as follows:
  1. Drive along coast to Fujairah across UAE border. Stay at Hilton.
  2. Drive to Al Ain, crossing border into Oman and then out of Oman to Al Ain. Stay at Hilton Ai Ain.
I think most visitors to Oman only get to see Al Ain (and or Fujairah) if they are entering the region through UAE and pick up a car at DXB or AUH. Al Ain is an attractive well-kept city, but apart from driving up the mountain, I'm stuck thinking of anything you could do to justify the sacrifice of days (and money!) involved in the visit. Both Fuj and Al Ain are perfectly fine places to be if you have to be there, or you are just passing through - but I think only residents escaping Dubai would think of going there for weekends.

You are blessed by starting the trip in Muscat. There's an awful lot to do in and around the city itself. Once you fit in excursions to and around Nizwa there's not a lot of spare time. If you have a couple of free days then Salalah is an hour's flight south and incredibly dramatic Musandam (Khasab) the same in the other direction. The ferry to Khasab might be good one way, but i think it's down to just once or twice a week.