FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help! . Staying healthy on the road
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:57 am
dbuckho

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Everyone is different. How much discipline do you have?

I gained a lot of weight when I started traveling in my early 20s and still struggle with it in my mid-30s. Could tell you about a whole year when I was based in Washington DC but traveling to Vancouver every week and actually got out for a run in Stanley Park almost every day (and got back into shape). Could also tell you about other months or years where I was so busy that I barely slept, forget about working out (and gained the weight back). You definitely want to find whatever works for you as soon as possible.

Working out is one part. Food is the other, and more my issue. If I were to die tomorrow, I would not have any regrets about not enjoying some of the best food on this planet, made possible by work and related travel. I have probably eaten too many calories per day since I was young, but playing sports through college covered that up. Hitting the road revealed my lack of discipline, and have been trying to reengineer my brain for 10 years. But the neuro-associations built during my first two decades are strong!

Hopefully others will have some suggestions there, but I will share two things back on the physical side that seem to help regardless of whether I am eating well or not?
1. Carry a pedometer (or get yourself a pedometer app). Try to get in at least 10,000 steps per day. Even 6000 is a good start.
2. Pilates -- find yourself some classes in NYC -- and perhaps even out here in LA.

I started both of these a few years ago when for the first time in my life I was not only heavy, but short of breath from just normal activities (i.e. climbing steps). My weight still comes and goes, but overall my fitness level has been much better since doing Pilates at least twice per week and trying to take the 10,000 steps per day. My tested levels are actually remarkable for my weight and family history. The Pilates will also be really good to lessen the physical impacts of the travel itself.

Having the pedometer is pretty enlightening, and has actually changed my airport routine quite a bit. If I have time at the gate before boarding, I no longer just sit and wait there -- will basically see how many steps I can take before it is time to board?

There are many many apps out there. Google "iphone health app" and you will see lots of options. I use one called MyFitnessPal.

Last edited by dbuckho; Oct 4, 2011 at 2:13 am