FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Icelandair Awards Program is a con!
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:02 pm
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
As far as I know there is no limit.

I'm personally getting tired of these fees on redemptions. Airlines need to be prevented from using "award" or "reward" type language in their FFP marketing as long as they attach fees other than taxes to redemptions.

That said, its been well known that FI's FFP is a poor value.
Originally Posted by stifle
I, on the other hand, am getting tired of American posters coming onto the forum complaining about fees and charges on redemptions on EU airlines — it's standard practice this side of the Atlantic, so the assumption that everywhere should be like America grates.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Luca314, nonetheless!
Many european countries do have consumer legislation making it illegal to use advertising and marketing communications that implies something is free and then attach unfair terms to the deal. Sure, many european programs do have a clause that says taxes and fees still have to be paid on a reward ticket, but if the taxes on a reward ticket is higher than on the paid ticket, then I can't see how that is fair terms.

I am completely with ByrdluvsAWACO on this one. Just because it is practice does not mean we should quietly accept it.

If we think it is OK to have a reward ticket and still pay 56% of full price, why should the airlines stop at that? Let's have a new price strategy where the ticket is 10% and the fees and surcharges are 90%...